Sarcoptic Mange Fox Rescue

When a fox is brought into us suffering from at least 70% hair loss no conventional mange treatment is given until the fox is stabilised. We believe that a fox given Ivomectin when suffering badly with mange will actually be more likely to die than be cured. If one imagines for one moment how many mites must be feeding off the fox and how much toxins each individual mite has in its body we can then assume that an injection that is likely to kill all mites will possibly overload the foxes body with toxins that it just can not cope with.

With dogs what we have discovered through our questionnaire is that every owner that we spoke to whose dogs are suffering from mange or have had it in the past all feed a dry food diet / and or their dog originally had a skin problem prior to mange infestation. Backing up our theory, if only in a small way, that diet plays an important role in Mange mite infestation.

The reason as to why the mange mite is virtually undetected in domestic dogs by vets may stem from the fact that many dog owners keep their pets immaculately groomed and what we have learned is that when the skin pockets are opened the female mite dies although the after effects of toxins from fecal remains and the toxins within the mites body will still cause severe irritation and in many cases secondary infection this may explain why skin scrapings in dogs very rarely show a mange mite problem.

Many on finding nothing from the skin scraping then give the dog a steroid injection and possibly antibiotics. The owner goes away, their dog apparently itch free, that is until the steroid injection wears off. Even where dogs have been properly diagnosed with Sarcoptic Mange often the shampoo given to treat this problem causes more problems than it cures. Bearing in mind the instructions on the shampoo often inform dog owners to wear gloves when applying, to apply outside, not to get on the skin and not to flush down the sink when finished. All very well until you consider this is what is being placed on the dogs skin and left. If it works, all this will do is kill the mite, but not improve the skin condition. hence the next time the dog comes into contact with the mite the dog gets the same condition.